Friday, May 7, 2010

Roast Pork




Roast Pork...ohhh now this will be a challenge for me, now I like Roast pork well done I couldn't see the Dream Pot doing this...well guess what...it did.whoo hooo.
Our Butcher had legs of Pork on special for $2.99 kg but they were big legs so I asked the butcher to cut a piece off so I had a hock size plus the thicker part of the leg.
The thicker part has gone in the freezer till later the hock went in the Dream Pot.
It only just fitted in, I put it in an oven bag sprinkled with flour to prevent the bag from bursting then covered the bag with boiling water and boiled, then a steady boil maybe 15 mins I just take a guess at it. into the DP it went and I went to bed.
next morning I checked on the hock.....awww...nooo it wasn't done when I pricked it with the fork a little trickle of blood juice ran out, so back on the stove to boil while I got myself ready for work, I had time to peel some carrots and potatoes and put them in the water with the bag of pork... now boiling steadily again maybe 15 mins and into the DP off I went to work. now 5.45 am.
Home from work 3.15 pm open DP check pork...hmmm perfect nicely done.
I am very surprised.
On the plate it goes covered with the colander while it cools enough to cut.
The juice goes into a jug and into the freezer, (the fat sets faster that way) I left the veggies to sit in the water in the DP until I was ready for them. after the juice had cooled I skimmed off the fat and made gravy with the juice. then served pork, spuds, carrots and gravy.
I just had some sliced of pork it was very nice.
I sliced more pork and placed it in a container for lunches and chopped up the rest of the pork
to make a soup using the water the veggies had cooked in and the last of the meat juice, added some Italian bean mix, carrots, onion, celery (straight from the freezer), potatoes and a sausage casserole mix (packet) ( I don't follow receipes I make up my own). add some boiling water to cover, boil, steady boil, maybe 5 mins, into the DP. checked it before going to bed.
yes all done into a container, cool then pop into the fridge for the next day.
Yes it passed the test Mum and Hubby both liked it.
I only used the sausage casserole mix as it had been sitting in the cupboard for a while, it is very rare that we have sausages so I thought I would throw it in the soup to give a different flavor it blended in great.
I will have to check the Dream Pot video again to get the correct timing for roast meats.
So far I think I am doing well with my experiments seeing as I don't have a recipe book as a guide.
Yes I have made a few mistakes and they are not letting the pot boil for long enough.,
BUT I will learn from my mistakes. For me this is the best way to learn.
I think my Hubby and Mum now get excited when they see me preparing stuff for the Dream Pot. I have never been a very good cook plus after work I couldn't be bothered making a meal it is normally a help yourself to what ever is there but now the fridge is full of cooked meals just need popping into the microwave unless I make things early in the day then it is ready for dinner time with more for another day. If the Dog is lucky he gets some too LOL.
While the soup was in the large pot I had room to use the small too so rather then let the space go to waste I made another rice pud only this time I didn't have any evaporated milk left so I used condensed milk but only put in 1 teaspoon of sugar as I did not know just how sweet it would turn out, that was the only difference to my normal recipe, hmmm noo I don't like it too sweet but after it was cooked I added more milk, not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment